Country: Germany (Deutschland)
City: Cologne (Köln)
Electrical Plug/Outlet and Voltage Information
Interesting facts about Cologne
- Cologne is one of the largest cities in Germany. It is located on the banks of river Rhine in North Rhine-Westphalia.
- The Romans founded the city in the 1st century.
- During the World War II, Cologne was one of the most heavily bombed cities in Germany.
- It took 6 centuries for the famous Cologne cathedral to be built.
- The famous perfume “Eau de Cologne – 4711” is produced since 1700. The 4711 is the house number of the factory at Glockengasse during the French occupation in the 19th.
- Cologne is famous for its local beer, called Kölsch. This is also how the local dialect is named.
- Cologne is also a city of churches, because of its many Roman churches located within the medieval city walls.
Cologne travel guide
Cologne airport (Köln Bonn Airport)
Major train stations
The two major train stations in the city are: Köln-Deutz station and the Cologne Central train station (Köln Hauptbahnhof).
Best time to visit Cologne
Summer is the best time to enjoy the beer gardens. In July the famous gay parade for celebrating Christopher Street Day takes place. Also in July you can enjoy Cologne Lights (Kölner Lichter). It is a stunning firework event – thousands of fireworks light up the skyline of the city in amazing colours.
Posts about Cologne
Where to stay
During my trip to Cologne I stayed in Hotel Domstern. You can see my review of the hotel here.
Day trips from Cologne
If you want to spend a day out of the city, check out my suggestions for days trips from Cologne.