Where to stay in Borovets? What are the best hotels in Borovets, Bulgaria?
Borovets (Боровец) is a popular ski resort in Rila Mountains, Bulgaria. It is located at an altitude of 1350m on the northern slopes of Rila, only 72km from the capital Sofia.
Borovets has a long history. In fact, it is the oldest winter resort in Bulgaria. It was founded in 1896 as a hunting place for the Bulgarian monarchs. You can still see the former royal palace Tsarska Bistritsa (Царска Бистрица). The palace dates from the end of the 19th century. The Bulgarian Tsar Ferdinand and his son Boris III used it as a hunting lodge.
Borovets is one of the best places for skiing in Bulgaria. The season begins at the end of December and continues until March. There are 24 ski runs with a total length of 58 km. The longest one is 12 km.
The resort is crowded during the weekends, due to its closeness to Sofia city. If you’re a winter sports lover, there are two places to go near Sofia – Vitosha Mountain and Borovets.
The thing that I love about Borovets resort is that it is high in the mountain. Thus if you’re a beginner, you don’t need to take the gondola lift. You can ski or snowboard right outside your hotel!
Where I stayed
I have visited Borovets many times, but from all hotels I’ve stayed at, the one I liked the most is Alpin Hotel. It’s a small boutique hotel just a few metres away from the ski slopes.
Luxury hotels in Borovets Bulgaria
Hotel Yastrebets Wellness & Spa
Hotel Yastrebets Wellness & Spa is a 4-star luxury spa hotel. No matter if you a winter sports lover or just want to spend few days among the beautiful nature of Borovets, you’ll have an unforgettable experience. The hotel is located in a secluded area in the middle of the woods, less than 3km from the centre of Borovets. Stay here if you search for a romantic escape amongst the unique nature of Rila Park.
- great facilities for relaxation and recreation
- great restaurant at the property
- ski-in/ski-out property – the hotel has its own ski slope
Villa Stresov is a 5-star luxury Swiss-style chalet. It is located only 500m away from the ski tracks and the centre of the resort. All the bars and restaurants are within few minutes walk.
Surrounded by the pine forest, the villa features a unique alpine atmosphere and comfort. Stay here if you want a quiet luxury place that is close to everything.
- air-conditioned rooms
- hot tub and Finnish sauna
- free parking
- BBQ facilities
Mid-range hotels in Borovets ski resort
Ice Angels Hotel
Ice Angels Hotel is a 4-star boutique hotel in the heart of Borovets. Its location right on the ski slopes makes it a preferred place for the winter sports lovers. It is one of the best hotels in Borovets, Bulgaria for skiing.The hotel features great SPA facilities including steam bath, jacuzzi and swimming pool. Stay here if you search for a cosy place right next to the ski tracks.
- ski-to-door access
- restaurant and bar available at the property
- swimming pool and steam bath
- horseback riding (extra charge)
- currency exchange
The Lodge Hotel
The Lodge Hotel is a 3-star spa hotel right next to gondola lift Yastrebets. Due to its location, it is a great base for climbing Musala Peak, the highest peak in Bulgaria. Also, the hotel is just 200m away from the town centre and the ski slopes. Stay here if you plan to use the gondola lift for skiing (snowboarding) or hiking in Rila Mountain.
- free parking garage
- steam bath, jacuzzi and sauna
- lovely restaurant and a lounge bar
- ski equipment rental
Yanakiev Club Hotel
Yanakiev Club Hotel is a 4-star spa hotel located right on the ski slopes. The SPA facilities are awesome and include a swimming pool with a mountain view, steam bath, sauna and an ice corner. Stay here if you’re looking for a nice place for skiing and relaxing right in the town centre.
- ski-to-door access and ski equipment rental
- restaurant with a mountain view
- fast-food restaurant that you can access directly from the ski tracks
- ATM on site
How to get to Borovets from Sofia
You can get to Borovets using the public transport.
- First, you need to get to South Bus Station in Sofia (Avtogara Yug – Автогара Юг). In order to reach it use the subway (the nearest metro station is Joliot Curie).
- Take a shuttle from the South Bus Station in Sofia to Samokov (about 1:30 hours journey). There are shuttle buses every 30min.
- From there you have to take a shuttle to Borovets (15min journey). The shuttle buses are every 30min again.
- At the ski resort, the shuttle stops in front of Hotel Samokov and it departs back to Samokov in front of Hotel Ela.
Have you stayed in any of the best hotels in Borovets Bulgaria?
Pin for later
|I'm a travel blogger based in Sofia, Bulgaria. Travelling has always been my passion and I love to discover new places and cultures. I want to show you how easy it is to organize your vacation all by yourself.|
Subscribe to my newsletter and get a full itinerary of each of my trips (including expenses, hotels, restaurants and a map).