Country: Hungary (Magyarország)
Currency: Hungarian Forint (HUF)
Interesting facts about Budapest
- Budapest is the largest city and the capital of Hungary.
- The first settlement on this territory dates before 1 AD and it was built by the Celts.
- Don’t look for Budapest in a map dated before 1873. Before that time the city didn’t exist. It was formed as a union of three smaller cities Buda, Óbuda and Pest during the Habsburg rule.
- The title “City of Spas” belongs to Budapest because of its many thermal springs located in the area of the city.
- The largest synagogue in Europe, Dohany Street Synagogue (Dohány utcai zsinagóga), is here.
- The oldest underground system in Europe is the Millennium Underground railway in Budapest. It is opened in 1896 and connects the city center with the City Park.
- The Hungarian Parliament building is the third largest Parliament building in the world. Better not skip a tour of the building, especially if you want to see an interior decorated with 40 kg of gold.
- The Hungarian Parliament building (Országház) is also the tallest building in the city along with St.Stephen’s Basilica (Szent István Bazilika). Both of them are 96 metres high. The number signifies the year 896 AD in which the Hungarians settled in the region. The same height of the two buildings symbolizes the equality between the spiritual and the worldly.
- Vlad the Impaler (known as Dracula) was imprisoned and tortured in the Labyrinth of Buda Castle.
Airports in Budapest
Major train stations
There are three main train stations: Eastern Railway Station (Keleti pályaudvar), Southern Railway Station (Déli pályaudvar) and Western Railway Station (Nyugati pályaudvar).
Best time to visit Budapest
Budapest Spring Festival (Budapesti Tavaszi Fesztivál) takes place during April. You will enjoy the best in classical music, jazz and opera during the two weeks event.
Sziget Festival is one of the biggest European rock festivals. It is held every August on Óbuda Island (Óbudai Sziget).
December doesn’t pass without the usual Christmas markets. The main one is on Vorosmarty Square (Vörösmarty tér).
Budapest travel guide
Where to stay
During my trip I stayed in Hotel Palazzo Zichy.
Day trips out of Budapest
Gödöllő is a lovely little town located about 30km east of Budapest and it is perfect for a day trip. It can be reached with the suburban railway (HÉV). The city is known for the Royal Palace of Gödöllő (Gödöllői Királyi Kastély). It was used as a summer residence by Franz Josef, Emperor of Austria and King of Hungary, and his wife Elisabeth.