Austria is famous for its classical music, beautiful architecture and delicious food (Schnitzel, apple strudel).
Vienna was the first city in Western Europe I visited and I totally fell in love with it. It’s one of my favourite destinations for a city break.
Vienna is great for all interested in classical music, history and architecture. Also, the city hosts one of the best Christmas markets in Europe.
Belgium is known for its medieval towns, chocolate, waffles and beer. It’s a great destination for all architecture lovers and foodies.
Brussels and Bruges are must-see cities. So, if you’re visiting Belgium for the first time, be sure to add them to your itinerary.
Ghent is charming and not so touristy. Plus, there is a castle (I’m a huge castle fan). It is really worth visiting if you have enough time.
Bulgaria is my home country. It’s a small, but beautiful country in Eastern Europe, famous for its rose oil and nature. Bulgaria is a cheap destination, perfect for foodies, beach and mountain lovers.
Sofia is administrative, while Plovdiv is the cultural capital of the country. Both cities are must-see.
The Czech Republic is world-famous for its beer. In fact, here you can find the highest beer consumption per capita in the world!
Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic, is one of the most magical cities in Europe.
The country is part of the United Kingdom (UK), which includes four constituent nations: England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. England is known for its breathtaking coastline, picturesque country towns, medieval castles and historical cities. See all the requirements for a tourist visa for the UK.
Some of the most popular places to visit are:
- London – the country’s capital and the seat of the British royal dynasty
- Stonehenge – the massive stone circle, dating back over 4,000 years, is one of the world’s most famous prehistoric monuments
- Cotswolds – this region is renowned for its charming villages with stone cottages, such as Bibury, Bourton-on-the-Water, and Castle Combe
- Cornwall – the county is famous for its scenic coastline featuring sandy beaches, dramatic cliffs, and charming seaside towns
France is one of the most visited countries in the world, attracting millions of tourists each year. The country is known for its fabulous food, wine, rich history, magnificent architecture and of course its world-famous fashion brands. See all the requirements for a tourist visa for France.
Some of the must-visit destinations include:
- Paris – the capital city known for its rich cultural heritage, art and cuisine
- Loire Valley – the region is famous for its stunning châteaux (castles) such as Château de Chambord
- Alsace – a region, filled with scenic vineyards and picturesque towns with half-timbered houses
- Provence – a picturesque region famous for its lavender fields, vineyards and charming villages
- French Riviera – a beautiful Mediterranean coastal area, featuring cities like Nice and Saint-Tropez
Germany is one of my favourite countries in Europe. And I try to visit it at least once a year. The country is famous for its beer, castles and half-timbered towns. Also, this is the place to start, if you want to experience the Christmas markets in Europe.
If you’re visiting the Christmas markets, I’d recommend going to Nuremberg, Munich or Berlin. For castles, the Rhine River (near Koblenz) is the best place to go.
Greece, with its stunning beaches, is the most popular summer destination in Europe. Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, Corfu, Rhodes and Zakynthos are some of the most beautiful islands.
Greece offers something for every taste. Head to Mykonos for an endless party, to Santorini for a romantic getaway and to Corfu for a family break.
Budapest, the beautiful capital of Hungary, is often called the Paris of the East. It totally deserves its nickname (plus it’s a lot cheaper than Paris)!
A stunningly beautiful city, Budapest is a perfect city break for all interested in history and architecture. It’s also a great option for a romantic getaway.
Italy is one of the most enticing countries in Europe. With its beautiful landscapes, rich history and delicious food it will take your heart forever. I’m a big fan of Italian food and I try to visit the country at least once a year.
Italy is full of magical places. If this is your first time in the country, start with the big three – Rome, Florence or Venice.
Portugal is famous for its port wine, Fado music, azulejos (beautiful blue tiles), stunning palaces and picturesque beaches. Once considered a hidden gem, it is now becoming a popular European destination. See all the requirements for a tourist visa for Portugal.
Some of the must-visit destinations include:
- Lisbon – the capital city, home to the stunning Jerónimos Monastery
- Sintra – a charming town, known for its fairy-tale Pena Palace
- Cascais – coastal town, renowned for its beautiful sandy beaches
- Porto – famous for its port wine and the historic Ribeira district with its picturesque narrow streets and colourful buildings
Romania is most famous for its connection to the legend of Count Dracula. However, the country is so much more than this! A cheap destination with charming small towns, beautiful nature and delicious food.
Bucharest is the capital city of Romania. It’s an energetic city, full of Belle Époque buildings, perfect for all architecture lovers. Bucharest is also home to a thriving hipster culture and excellent nightlife.
Besides Bucharest, a must-see is Peleș Castle and Bran Castle.
For me, Scotland is one of the most beautiful countries in Europe. It had my heart the moment I stepped foot in Edinburgh.
Known for its whisky, nature and Loch Ness monster, Scotland is a must-visit when in the UK. Its capital, Edinburgh is a gorgeous medieval city full of history and charm.
The biggest city in the country is Glasgow. If you have enough time you can dedicate a day to this lively city with Victorian buildings.
Other popular places are Loch Lomond, Highlands, Isle of Skye and Stirling Castle.
Slovakia is a small country with a rich history. It’s known for its beautiful landscapes, quaint villages and castles.
The capital city, Bratislava is a unique mixture of Soviet architecture and old elegant buildings. It’s perfect for a day trip from Vienna and vice versa.
Known for its Art Nouveau architecture, flamenco, tapas and Sangría, Spain is one of the most popular destinations in Europe. Its stunning Mediterranean beaches and beautiful islands like Ibiza and Mallorca attract thousands of tourists every summer. See all the requirements for a tourist visa for Spain.
Some of the most popular destinations to visit are:
- Madrid – the capital city of Spain, home to the Royal Palace of Madrid, one of the largest palaces in Europe
- Barcelona – famous for its architectural masterpieces by Antoni Gaudí, including the iconic Sagrada Familia and Park Güell
- Granada – home to beautiful Alhambra Palace, an exquisite example of Islamic architecture
- Seville – known for its stunning Moorish architecture
- Palma de Mallorca – the largest among the Balearic Islands with sandy beaches and crystal-clear Mediterranean waters