Country: Scotland (Scotland)
City: Glasgow (Glasgow)
Electrical Plug/Outlet and Voltage Information
Interesting facts about Glasgow
- Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland.
- The name of the city derives from a Gaelic phrase that means “dear green place”.
- Glasgow was found in the 6th century AD by Saint Mungo, the patron of the city.
- The name of Saint Mungo is in fact a nick name. The latter means “my dear one”. The real name of the saint is Kentigern.
- Glasgow once had a castle. The Bishop’s Castle stood right next to the Glasgow Cathedral. From here comes the name of “Castle Street”. Unfortunately the castle was demolished in 1792.
- The oldest museum in Scotland is here – the Hunterian museum. It is opened in 1807.
- The Horseshoe Bar in Glasgow is the longest bar in Europe.
- The only city in Scotland that has a subway is Glasgow. It is named Clockwork Orange because of the colour of the carriages.
Glasgow travel guide
Glasgow International Airport is located 16km west of the city center. See here how to reach it.
Glasgow Airport Express is the easiest way to get to the city center. There are shuttles every 10min and the trip to the Glasgow city center is about 20-30min.
Major train stations
Glasgow has two main train stations – Glasgow Central Station and Queen Street Station.
Major bus stations
The First Group buses serve the city of Glasgow.
Where to stay
Check out my guide for the best areas to stay in Glasgow.
Day trips from Glasgow
Check out these ideas for day trips from Glasgow.