Country: Bulgaria (България)
City: Sofia (София)
Interesting facts about Sofia
- Sofia is the capital of Bulgaria and its largest city.
- The city is situated at the northern foot of Vitosha Mountain. That’s why it is easy to escape from the busy city life and enjoy fresh air amongst the nature.
- The history of the city could be traced to the Bronze Age, when the city was a settlement of a Thracian tribe, Serdi. From here comes the initial name of the city – Serdica. The current name derives from Saint Sofia Church.
- When the city was part of the Roman empire, Constantine the Great often referred to the city as “Serdica is my Rome”.
Sofia travel guide
Sofia Airport (Летище София)
Sofia-Vrazhdebna Airport (Летище София-Враждебна) is located about 10 km from the city centre. You can reach it using the public transport. More information here. There are two terminals, which are not in a walking distance from each other.
Low cost companies like Wizz Air and Easy Jet use Terminal 1, while all others use Terminal 2. There is free shuttle transfer between the two terminals every 30 minutes.
If you want to go to Borovets you need to take a shuttle bus from South Bus Station in Sofia (Avtogara Yug – Автогара Юг). More info here.
Posts about Sofia
Free Sofia tours
All tours below are free, but if you enjoy the tour you can leave a tip at the end of it. You need no reservation for any of them.
- Free Sofia Tour – the tour takes place every day at 11:00 AM and 06:00 PM and continues about 2 hours. Starting point – Palace of Justice (Съдебна палата).
- Sofia Bike Tour – every day from April to November at 11:00 AM and 05:00 PM, duration is about 2 hours. Meeting point is National Theater “Ivan Vazov” (Народен театър “Иван Вазов”). You will need to rent a bike before the tour.
- Sofia Green Tour – it is a hiking tour from April to November at 11:00 AM every day. The duration is about 5 hours, starting point – National Theater “Ivan Vazov” (Народен театър “Иван Вазов”).
- Balkan Bites Food Tour – the tour is vegetarian and takes place every day at 02:00 PM. The meeting point is Kristal Garden (Градина Кристал) and the duration is about 2 hours.
Day trips out of Sofia
If you are a mountain lover you can reach Vitosha mountain in an hour using the public transport and the gondola lift.