Where to stay in Munich, Germany? This hotel guide will help you find the best area for you depending on the purpose of your trip (sightseeing, Oktoberfest, nightlife or Christmas markets).
- Best area to stay in Munich
- Best hotels in Altstadt, near Marienplatz
- Where to stay in Munich for Oktoberfest
- Best place to stay for Christmas markets
- Best area for nightlife
- Where to stay in Munich for one night
Munich (München) is the capital city of Bavaria. It’s best known for its world-famous beer festival, Oktoberfest, as well as its Christmas markets. However, Munich is much more than that! It’s an international city with beautiful architecture and rich history, going back to the 12th century.
Located in southern Germany, Munich is the largest city in Bavaria. It is also one of the most expensive cities in Germany (as well as a prime tourist destination). Expect to pay a bit more than the average hotel price in Europe. Moreover, if you’re visiting for a special event (like Oktoberfest or Christmas markets) book as early as you can. The affordable hotels sell out months in advance.
The state capital is divided into 25 boroughs (Stadtbezirke in German). Each district has its own charm and depending on the trip you’re planning could be more or less suitable for you. So, choosing the best area to stay in Munich is not an easy task.
Where to stay in Munich the first time
- Altstadt – the best area for tourists
- Ludwigsvorstadt – for Oktoberfest
- Marienplatz – for Christmas markets
- Isarvorstadt – for nightlife
- Karlsplatz and Central train station – for one night
The Old Town (Altstadt) is the obvious choice when it comes to sightseeing and tourism. Yet, things are different if you’re visiting for one night or Oktoberfest. But don’t worry, my guide is here to show you the best places to stay in Munich (conveniently grouped based on the purpose of your visit). In each section, you’ll also find hotel recommendations, so all that is left is to pick the one that suits your needs most.
I visited Munich for the Christmas markets. However, as this was my first trip to the city, I also needed the place to be close to all tourist attractions. In addition, I wanted to be at a walking distance to the train station (for day trips and easy connection to the airport).
If you’re visiting for sightseeing, I totally recommend staying in Altstadt (the Old Town). You’ll be at walking distance to most of the attractions and to great authentic restaurants.
Most popular hotel in Munich
In a hurry? Looking for a comfy hotel with a great location and an excellent rating?
Then check out Platzl Hotel – it’s the most popular hotel near Marienplatz, the city’s main square.
Located right in the city centre, next to Marienplatz, this hotel has the perfect location for sightseeing and Christmas markets. Comfy, soundproof rooms with wooden furniture. In addition, the hotel features a wellness centre with an exotic steam room and a fabulous breakfast with many options (including home-made pancakes).
Altstadt – the best area to stay in Munich
The best area to stay in Munich is the Altstadt neighbourhood. Altstadt is the historic city centre. Most of the tourist sites are in the area, including Marienplatz, the New Town Hall, Munich Residence and the famous beer house, Hofbräuhaus. Altstadt is the best place to stay in Munich for first-time visitors and for the Christmas markets.
Badly damaged during World War II, Altstadt (the Old Town in German) was reconstructed after the end of the war. However, unlike Berlin, which was rebuilt as a modern city, Munich kept its old charm. You can still admire its striking architecture and beautiful 18th-century buildings.
Book a private transfer directly to your hotel (Welcome Pickups are always on time) for a worry-free arrival.
Benefits of staying in Altstadt
- You’ll be at a walking distance to most of Munich’s attractions and restaurants. It’s the ideal area if you’re visiting the city as a tourist.
- Easy access to the major tourist sites, including Marienplatz, New Town Hall, Munich Residence, St. Peter’s Church and Frauenkirche.
- With numerous great authentic restaurants, Altstadt is the perfect area for dining out.
- Explore the Viktualienmarkt food market, one of the oldest and largest open-air markets in the city.
- Enjoy a classical music concert at Munich Residenz, where Mozart himself used to play.
- The central train station, München Hauptbahnhof, is less than 1km away. This makes Altstadt a convenient area to stay for day trips as well.
- Easy access to the airport, too – just take the S-Bahn (lines S1 and S8) from Marienplatz metro station.
- Kaufingerstraße together with the Neuhauser Straße are the most popular city’s shopping streets.
- Enjoy a glass of beer and a pretzel at the world-famous brewery Hofbräuhaus.
The best hotels in Munich Altstadt
Hotels near Marienplatz (Best for couples)
Platzl Hotel is a traditional hotel in the city centre of Munich. The location is ideal for tourists, less than a 5min walk to Marienplatz and the famous brewery Hofbräuhaus. The hotel features a wellness centre with an exotic steam room and a 16th-century restaurant with a beer garden. The soundproof rooms with wooden furniture and floor-to-ceiling windows provide a perfect rest.
Why book – ideal location for sightseeing, spotless rooms with comfortable beds, fabulous breakfast (including fresh honeycomb and home-made pancakes)
This family-owned historic hotel is situated next to Isartor city gate, only 300m away from Marienplatz. The nearby S-Bahn station provides easy access to the airport. Don’t miss the hotel’s restaurant where you can enjoy fine cuisine made with regional products.
Why book – great location for transport links and exploring the tourist attractions
Hotels near Marienplatz (Best for families)
A lovely 4-star just a short walk from Marienplatz. Modern and spacious rooms, perfect if you’re travelling with family. Convenient for transport links with a metro station nearby.
Why book – central and quiet location, spacious comfortable rooms
Modern hotel right in the heart of the city, at a walking distance to the tourist sites and a U-Bahn station. In addition, you’ll find a supermarket opposite the hotel. The perfect base to explore the city with a family.
Why book – great location for sightseeing, comfy air-conditioned rooms, bike hire available on site
Luxury hotels near Marienplatz
Bayerischer Hof is the most popular 5-star hotel in Munich. And there is a good reason why! The hotel is situated in the heart of the shopping area of the Old Town. In addition, Bayerischer Hof features 5 gourmet restaurants, 6 bars, and an exclusive spa with a rooftop pool. This is the place to book if you look for a special vacation.
Why book – ideal location for shopping and tourism, an excellent spa with a rooftop pool
Located in the area between Munich Residenz and Marienplatz, this elegant 5-star hotel has the ideal location for tourists. The excellent spa includes a large swimming pool, beauty treatments and a breathtaking view over the city’s rooftops.
Why book – central quiet location, excellent spa with swimming pool and city views
Ludwigsvorstadt – the best place to stay in Munich for Oktoberfest
Oktoberfest is the biggest annual event in the Bavarian capital city. In fact, it is a 2-week event, starting the last week of September and continuing to October. And Oktoberfest attracts more than 6 million visitors every year!
Where to stay in Munich for Oktoberfest
- near Theresienwiese – this is where the festival is held every year (the best area to stay for Oktoberfest)
- Sendlinger Tor or Marienplatz – the area is well connected by metro (lines U3, U6) to Theresienwiese (metro station Poccistraße)
- Karlsplatz – the area is well connected by metro (lines U4, U5) to Theresienwiese
The famous event is held on the grounds of Theresienwiese in Ludwigsvorstadt district. Located southwest of the Old Town, Theresienwiese is the city’s largest fairground. The area is well-connected to the historic city centre by metro (lines U3, U4, U5 and U6). And if you prefer walking, the distance between Theresienwiese and the Old Town is just 1km.
Ludwigsvorstadt is the best area to stay in Munich for Oktoberfest. Keeping in mind the popularity of the event, I’d recommend you to book accommodation at least 6 months in advance. Not only because the prices skyrocket with time, but also the hotels are often sold out long in advance.
If you’re not lucky with booking accommodation in Ludwigsvorstadt, the other option is to choose a hotel near a metro station served by any of the lines U3, U4, U5 and U6. Sendlinger Tor, Marienplatz or Karlsplatz are some of the best options. In this way, you’ll need only 2-3min by the metro to get to Oktoberfest.
Benefits of staying in Ludwigsvorstadt
- You’ll be close to the festival’s grounds, it’s the best place to stay if you’re visiting Munich for Oktoberfest.
- The area is close to the historic centre (plus is well connected by public transport to the rest of the city).
- The Central train station is less than 1km away, so getting to the airport is easy and quick.
- If you’re tired of beer and looking for a change, visit Bar Gabanyi for some cocktails.
This is one of the most popular hotels for Oktoberfest. BOLD Hotel is located just a 5min walk from Theresienwiese, where the festival is held. To go to the city centre, just take the metro for 3 stops (metro station Poccistraße is right next to the hotel).
Why book – next to Oktoberfest venue, 24-hours bar, fantastic breakfast with a lot of vegan options
If you look for the closest accommodation to the Oktoberfest venue, don’t look further. Located just a short walk from Theresienwiese and metro station Poccistraße, it’s the perfect base if you’re visiting the city for the famous beer festival.
Why book – next to Oktoberfest venue, American-style breakfast until 12:00 PM
Bavaria Boutique Hotel is one of the best-rated hotels near the Oktoberfest venue. Boutique rooms with a modern design. The hotel is less than a 10min walk from the metro and the entrance to Theresienwiese.
Why book – convenient location for Oktoberfest and S-Bahn, modern boutique rooms
Marienplatz – Where to stay in Munich for Christmas markets
Munich features some of the best Christmas markets in all of Germany. The city is home to 10 markets and the biggest one is at Marienplatz, right in front of the Town Hall.
Where to stay in Munich for Christmas markets
- Marienplatz – where the main Christmas market is (the best area to stay in December)
- Odeonsplatz – close to 2 popular Christmas markets and well-connected by metro to the rest
- Sendlinger Tor – there are 2 Christmas markets in the area, plus it’s easy to reach the rest by public transport
Half of the Christmas markets are located within the Altstadt (the Old Town). Staying near Marienplatz gives you easy access to all of them. To visit the rest, you’ll have to use public transport, so make sure that your hotel is close to the metro.
If you can’t find an affordable hotel near Marienplatz, Odeonsplatz and Sendlinger Tor are also good options. Located on the edge of the Old Town, these areas host some of the popular Christmas markets. In addition, it will be easy to reach the rest by using public transport.
Benefits of staying near Marienplatz
- You’ll be right next to the city’s best Christmas market and at a walking distance to a few more.
- Most of the popular attractions are clustered here, so the area is great for sightseeing, too.
- Easy access to the airport and central train station (for a day trip to Nuremberg Christmas markets).
Platz Hotel has one of the best locations to explore the Christmas markets. Just a 5min walk to the main market at Marienplatz (and close to 4 more markets). And after a cold day outside, don’t miss the wellness centre with exotic steam room (a great way to end the day).
Why book – ideal location for Christmas markets, fabulous breakfast (including fresh honeycomb and home-made pancakes)
If you’re travelling with family and need more space, then book Cortiina Hotel. Situated very close to several Christmas markets, the hotel is a great base to stay in December. Plus, the location is very convenient for transport links (S-Bahn and U-Bahn).
Why book – short walk to a few of the Christmas markets, spacious comfortable rooms
For a truly special Christmas holiday, there is only one place to stay – BEYOND by Geisel. The hotel has a prime location, right on Marienplatz, where the biggest Christmas market is. The luxuriously furnished rooms feature panoramic views of the Town Hall. Another advantage is that there are direct connections to the airport and the central train station.
Why book – next to the main Christmas market, luxurious rooms with panoramic views
Isarvorstadt – Where to stay in Munich for nightlife
The best place to stay in Munich for nightlife is Isarvorstadt. Located south of the Altstadt, this is the trendiest of all the city’s neighbourhoods. The area is packed with hip bars and characterful bistros, perfect for all who want to experience the city’s nightlife scene.
My recommendation is to choose a hotel near Sendlinger Tor. In this way, you’ll have convenient transport links to every part of the city.
Isarvorstadt is also the location of the main LGBTQ scene. So, if you want to hit the gay bars, this is the place to go.
Benefits of staying in Isarvorstadt
- Central area with easy access to the Old Town and the major tourist sites.
- Excellent public transport that connects you to the central train station and airport.
- Enjoy some cocktails at the most popular bars in the area – Zephyr Bar, Flex, Zum Wolf and Auroom.
- Explore the lively square, Gärtnerplatz, and its flower gardens and numerous cafés.
- Visit the Deutsches Museum, one of the biggest museums in Germany.
- See some of the city’s finest street art at Tumblingerstrasse.
Hotel MIO is conveniently located to Sendlinger Tor, a great location for clubbing and sightseeing. It’s a chic modern hotel with a young vibe and comfortable rooms.
Why book – perfect location for a night out, ideal for transport links to the airport
Motel One Sendlinger Tor is one of the best places to stay in Munich for nightlife. This boutique hotel is next to Sendlinger Tor, on the edge of the Old Town. At a walking distance not only to the most popular clubs and bars but also to many tourist attractions. Modern air-conditioned rooms that feature attractive turquoise interiors.
Why book – great location for clubs and transport links, 24-hours trendy lounge bar with an open fireplace
Karlsplatz – Where to stay in Munich for one night
If you have only one night in the city, book accommodation close to the Central train station. Yet, I’d recommend you to avoid the area in the immediate proximity south of the train station. Although it’s safe, it’s not the nicest one. The better option is to stay near Karlsplatz.
Karlsplatz is the best place to stay in Munich for one night. The area is located on the edge of the Old Town, next to the Central train station. Karlsplatz is a great location not only for sightseeing but also for transport links.
The main city’s square Marienplatz is less than a 10min walk. Moreover, the S-Bahn (lines S1 and S8) is conveniently nearby.
Benefits of staying near Karlsplatz
- It’s a perfect area if you have less than 24 hours – at a walking distance to the tourist attractions and restaurants.
- Easy access to the airport and the rest of Germany (if you’re travelling by train).
If you have only one night in Munich, this is the perfect place to stay. Located next to Karlsplatz and the Central train station, the hotel is close to everything. Marienplatz is less than 1km away.
Why book – next to the Central train station, 24-hour front desk
Located on a quiet side street, just a 3min walk to the train station, this hotel is perfect for one night stay. Easy stroll to the historic centre and the tourist sites. Modern and spacious rooms that provide comfort and relaxation.
Why book – quiet location next to the Central train station, free Sky TV and a tablet computer
Hotel Excelsior is one of the best-rated hotels near Karlsplatz. Easy access to the Central train station and the airport (by S-Bahn). Rooms are spacious and feature a stylish layout with antique Bavarian touches.
Why book – next to the Central train station, wine restaurant with Bavarian cuisine on-site
Best places to stay in Munich
|Platzl Hotel||8.8||See 3,270+ reviews|
|Hotel Torbräu||8.9||See 1,940+ reviews|
|Bayerischer Hof||8.7||See 2,170+ reviews|
|Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski München||8.8||See 1,790+ reviews|
|25hours Hotel The Royal Bavarian||8.8||See 2,530+ reviews|
|Hotel Metropol||9.0||See 3,310+ reviews|